Friday 29 July 2011

Activity 7: Tagging, folksonomies, Delicious and Library Thing


Well here is my Library Thing. This site was really easy to use. As for Technorati.....I'm not sure what I was doing wrong. I got no results for 'bookmobile' in the basic search for either posts or blogs, but got 13 results in the refine search box. Nothing for nswpls2008 either, as some others have commented. No results for the title of this blog, but when I searched in google it came up!!
One of my CSU lecturers used Del.icio.us. I guess it was a way for her to keep track of all her research etc. Also, it was a way for her to show this information to her students. Her tags included our subject codes, so it was easy to find relevant information. Delicious seemed complicated when I first looked at it, but after spending some time with it, it definitely has some great benefits. For libraries, it is a great way to get lists of good websites together, and to share these with other branches, and patrons of course. I think some patrons would find it overwhelming though.
Folksonomies: I just love that word, and now I finally understand it...a blend of two words: folks and taxonomies.
Delicious: Better than adding websites to 'Favourites' . Because your Delicious site is online, it is available via any computer. Also, it can be shared with friends, colleagues, in fact, any like minded person. This sharing of tags (eg, teaching senior maths Australia, as I showed my husband), is quite remarkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment