Tuesday 23 August 2011

Activity 16: Evaluation of Web 2 Tools

In this activity I learnt how lots of Web 2 tools can have a built in ability to gather statistics about users. Google analytics is used to gather statistics from websites, blogs and wikis. The University where I completed my placement used google analytics to see which parts of their website and which information sources were most used. Survey Monkey is a free or fee based service for creating a survey to use online. The public library I visit recently hosted a survey created by servey monkey, which I completed.
I have set up a Feedburner account to analyse use of my blog. Let me say I am not expecting great things here. For libraries, I can definitely see the benefits of these statistic gathering tools. If a librarian wanted to create a blog, wiki, podcast etc., and needed permission to do so, being able to say statistics would be so easily gathered about the tool would be a great selling point, when everything these days needs to be costed and justified etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment