Friday 26 August 2011

Activity 21: More with Google Docs

As i'm not yet working in a library and am self employed, I haven't had the need to create a working Google Docs document yet. I've had a good play around with it though, and looked at the tips, and I can definitely see the benefits of being able to share a document, spreadsheet, presentation or drawing online, and share the creating and editing too. This application would be really helpful for branch libraries that are geographically dispersed, but similarly in large libraries where co-workers are in different departments or on different levels.
The tip I found most interesting is that collaboration is possible via a chat session in real time. This means if you are creating or editing a document/presentation/spreadsheet/drawing and someone is working at the same time as you, a chat box will show, to allow collaboration in real time. This feature is quite remarkable and I imagine it would be most useful, efficient and effective. I also envisage that specific times could be scheduled (perhaps with the help of google calendar and Doodle) so that co-workers could log on, chat, and work on a project at a designated time.
Also the fact that Google Docs are 'rendered' in HTML, making it easy to add content to a web page is of great benefit. I completed a subject in Web design last semester, so I can envisage that being able to use Google Docs to create content collaboratively for a library webpage, and then upload it easily to the website is real boon.

No comments:

Post a Comment