Monday 29 August 2011

Activity 24: The Dark side of the Web

Unfortunately I learned the hard way about just how 'dark' the Web can be. About 10 years ago (not long after I started using online banking) I had a key-stroke-capture virus attach itself to my computer via a trojan. About thirty thousand dollars was taken out of my account before I noticed the discrepency. Luckily, the bank reimbursed it all. I'm still not sure why it happened, except that despite having antivirus software installed and running, a window used pop up saying I had a trojan virus. My teenage children at the time said "don't worry Mum, the antivirus software is working etc..". It certainly was worrying at the time, and has made me very aware of scams and viruses etc. I was asked to go to court to testify, but didn't have to in the end. I was notified of the findings of the court case eventually. They prosecuted the 'donkey' who is the person who went to the ATM's and withdrew the funds, but he was working....wait for it...the Russian Mafia! Yes, it was like on the tv, only real. Apparently the banks very rarely get their money back in such cases. I believe the banks have more secure systems now. I haven't returned to online banking though. At the time, I talked in depth to someone in the bank's frauds department who assured me he would never do online banking on a home computer.
My mother-in-law was also targeted in a scam recently. She received a phone call and believed the caller to be a representative of microsoft, so proceded to allow him remote access into her computer. I really feel for the elderly when they are targeted like this. I guess being aware yourself, and promoting awarenesss amongst anyone you think might require assistance can only be beneficial. The internet certainly is wonderful, and with a little care, the pitfalls can be minimised.

No comments:

Post a Comment