Wednesday 24 August 2011

Activity 18: Slideshows, Screencasting and Digital Storytelling

This activity helped me get some terminology sorted, and increased my confidence so that I am keen to help the librarian (for whom I volunteer)produce some tutorials about using the OPAC, for those who aren't familiar with it. Here's what I learnt: In the library setting, slideshows are useful for presentations, storytelling and training purposes. 'Slideshare' is an online slideshow hosting service, where slideshows (powerpoints, open office and PDF files) can be uploaded and shared online, or embedded into a blog or website. The slideshow then has a URL which can be shared via email. Soho is a similar site that allows you to create, edit and upload online presentations.ScreenCasting involves making a digital recording of a computer screen with added audio.
I explored Screenr and attempted to make a presentation about using the OPAC in my public library. I couldn't get the audio to work...(guess I need a microphone)but I'm sure this would be easily sorted. What I learnt was that the technology is very user friendly (surprise surprise). It is the development of the script that would be time consuming. When I first started my online study, I made good use of screencasts when learning how to use the CSU library. Now I feel I'm ready to make one! This is an excellent tool and I hope I can convince Ros that we can make some really useful screencasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment